From Nelson Mandela’s “Long Walk to Freedom” and the rich multicultural heritage of the “Rainbow Nation” to stunning natural beauty and exotic wildlife, this 12-day, small-group travel program showcases southern Africa like no other. Enjoy Five-Star accommodations for two nights in Johannesburg, three nights in Cape Town in the legendary MOUNT NELSON HOTEL, two nights in Victoria Falls in the historic VICTORIA FALLS HOTEL in Zimbabwe, and two nights on Namibia’s Chobe River aboard the 28-passenger, all-suite M.S. ZAMBEZI QUEEN, a superior and sophisticated river vessel.
Explore “a world in one country”—Johannesburg, “the City of Gold;” Mandela’s former home in Soweto; spectacular Table Mountain; historic Robben Island; and the Cape of Good Hope. From the unique perspective of covered excursion boats and from four-wheel-drive vehicles, enjoy unparalleled game-viewing and close encounters with elephant, hippo, and antelope, not to mention spectacular opportunities to track crocodiles, birds, and big cats. Visit thundering Victoria Falls, one of the world’s top natural wonders. Extend your safari experience with the Post-Program Option in the MalaMala Game Reserve bordering Kruger National Park.
You will be joined by Emilie Gray, an assistant professor of biology at Colorado College. After growing up between France and California, her love for Africa blossomed during field work for her master's degree in Ivory Coast. After obtaining her Ph.D. on mosquito eco-physiology from the University of California, Irvine, Emilie returned to Africa for research, this time for two years in South Africa. While there, she lived in Stellenbosch, Cape Town, and then in and around Kruger National Park, where she taught for the Organization for Tropical Studies. Following more post-doctoral research at the University of Notre Dame and travel in Tanzania and Cameroon, Emilie moved to Colorado Springs in 2009 to begin her career at CC.
1 Depart the U.S.
2 Johannesburg, South Africa
3 Johannesburg for Soweto
4 Johannesburg/Pretoria/Fly to Cape Town
5 Cape Town
6 Cape Town
7 Cape Town/Fly to Kasane, Botswana/Chobe River, Namibia,
Embark M.S. ZAMBEZI QUEEN
8 Chobe River Safari
9 Chobe River/Disembark ship/Chobe National Game Park,
Botswana/Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
10 Victoria Falls
11 Victoria Falls/Fly to Johannesburg, South Africa/Depart for the U.S
12 Arrive in the U.S.
• Unique new luxury African river safari offering to the affinity market, featuring the exclusively chartered 28-passenger, Five-Star M.S. ZAMBEZI QUEEN river vessel.
• Experience “a world in one country”—Johannesburg, “the City of Gold;” Cape Town’s Table Mountain; Cape of Good Hope; Constantia wine country.
• Legendary deluxe hotels—Johannesburg’s FAIRLAWNS BOUTIQUE HOTEL AND SPA and Cape Town’s MOUNT NELSON HOTEL, South Africa, and VICTORIA FALLS HOTEL, Zimbabwe.
• In 2014, The New York Times voted Cape Town the Traveler’s Choice #1 Destination in the World.
• Experience the rich multicultural heritage, warmth, and welcoming spirit of the people from “The Rainbow Nation.”
• Walk in the footsteps of Nelson Mandela’s “Long Walk to Freedom” during visits to his former home in Soweto and former prison on Robben Island, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
• Visit one of the world’s top natural wonders, the magnificent Victoria Falls, “Mosi-Oa-Tunya” (“the smoke that thunders.”)
• Spectacular game drive in Chobe National Game Park, known for some of the largest concentrations of game in all of Africa, especially elephants.
Luxury African River Safari M.S. ZAMBEZI QUEEN
The exclusively chartered, all-suite M.S. ZAMBEZI QUEEN offers a truly intimate, sophisticated, and elegant small river ship experience while retaining the essence of all that is distinctively African. Whether game-viewing from one of the small excursion boats, attempting to land a tiger fish, or watching through the restaurant’s panoramic windows for the animals to gather at the water at dusk, guests experience Botswana’s exotic Chobe National Park—home to one of the densest populations of wildlife on the African continent—from a luxury small ship specifically designed to navigate the great Chobe River.
Each tastefully furnished suite has a private balcony, one double bed or two twin beds, panoramic windows with shutters, fans and private bathroom with shower.
Onboard dining features international and regional cuisine prepared by the locally trained culinary staff using the freshest vegetables, fruit, fish, and local ingredients. Full English breakfast, buffet lunch, and formal dinner are served daily in the opulent, air‑conditioned dining room, with unobstructed views on three sides.
Public areas have been designed with a timeless southern African elegance and include the air-conditioned lounge and bar, sunbathing area with small pool, and library with books, games, and telescope for stargazing. The entire ship, including the top deck and living and dining areas, has mosquito screening.
The M.S. ZAMBEZI QUEEN meets inland water safety standards and was built on the foundation of responsibility toward the environment, including a water-jet propulsion system to prevent damage to the riverbed; fuel-efficient, low-emission generators; solar-heated hot water; and an onboard water purification plant.
• Two nights in the five-star FAIRLAWNS BOUTIQUE HOTEL AND SPA, located in the upscale Sandton neighborhood of Morningside.
• Full American buffet breakfast each morning.
• Welcome reception and dinner, with a presentation by special lecturer Robin Binckes, master storyteller and expert in the history of South Africa.
• Full-day excursion in Johannesburg and Soweto following in the footsteps of the late Nelson Mandela, including a visit to his former home on Soweto’s renowned Vilakazi Street, where Nobel Peace Prize recipients Mandela and Archbishop Desmond Tutu each lived.
• Tours of the Hector Pieterson Museum and the Apartheid Museum, a spotlight on South Africa’s struggle for racial equality.
• Half-day excursion to Pretoria, the administrative and national capital of South Africa, to see the Union Buildings, site of Nelson Mandela’s historic presidential inauguration, and the Voortrekker Monument.
In Cape Town
• Three nights in the historic and luxurious MOUNT NELSON HOTEL in the vibrant heart of Cape Town.
• Full American buffet breakfast each morning.
• City tour including a cable car ride up Table Mountain for spectacular views of Cape Town and the Twelve Apostles mountain range.
• Excursion to Robben Island, today a museum and UNESCO World Heritage site, a former prison dating from the 17th century, where Nelson Mandela was held from 1963 to 1982.
• Panoramic tour featuring spectacular seaside views and visits to Cape Point and the Cape of Good Hope, where the Atlantic and Indian Oceans meet, including lunch.
Transfer from Kasane, Botswana, to the Chobe River, Namibia.
On board the exclusively chartered M.S. ZAMBEZI QUEEN
• Two nights on the Chobe River in Namibia.
• Deluxe, air-conditioned, modern accommodations with private bathroom facilities and balcony.
• Full American buffet breakfast, lunch, and dinner each day.
• Complimentary wine and beer served with lunch and dinner.
• Onboard 360-degree game-viewing of hippos, elephants, crocodiles, numerous species of birdlife, and other wildlife.
• Water-based game-viewing and fishing from an excursion boat.
• Visit to a local village in Namibia.
Transfer from the Chobe River, Namibia, to Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe.
• Half-day game drive aboard four-wheel-drive safari vehicles in Chobe National Park, including lunch.
In Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
• Two nights in the legendary VICTORIA FALLS HOTEL, which exudes colonial Edwardian charm and offers magnificent views of the Victoria Falls gorge and bridge.
• Full American buffet breakfast each morning.
• One dinner in the hotel.
• Tour of Victoria Falls and the surrounding rainforest with a guide’s insight into the history, flora, and fauna.
ENHANCED TRAVEL SERVICES
• Transfers and luggage handling abroad for participants whose arrival(s)/departure(s) coincide with the scheduled group transfer(s).
• All excursions and visits, as outlined in the Included Features, with experienced local guides.
• Gratuities to shipboard personnel are included.
• Gratuities to local guides and drivers on included excursions and transfers.
• Hospitality desk aboard ship and in the hotels.
• The services of an experienced Gohagan & Company travel director throughout the program.
• Travel document wallet, name badge, and pre-departure information.
• Automatic $250,000 flight insurance policy for each participant ticketed on flights by Gohagan & Company.
Internal program air (Johannesburg/Cape Town, Cape Town/Kasane and Victoria Falls/Johannesburg) must be purchased separately.
KRUGER PRIVATE GAME RESERVE POST-PROGRAM OPTION
Experience even more of South Africa’s natural wonders from the comfort of a private game reserve strategically located between spectacular Kruger National Park and the Sabi Sand Game Reserve. Kruger, preserving more than six million acres between the Crocodile and Limpopo Rivers and sustaining 16 distinct eco-zones, and the MalaMala Game Reserve, the largest private Big Five reserve and renowned for the quality of its leopard-viewing, are treasures among South Africa’s parks. Together, they are home to more than 500 bird species and more than 200 mammal species, including great numbers of the Big Five—lion, elephant, rhino, buffalo, and leopard—amid vast tracts of acacia trees, sycamore fig trees, bushwillow trees, open savannah, and rushing rivers. Accommodations for two nights are in the deluxe MALAMALA MAIN CAMP on the border of Kruger National Park. This Post-Program Option is available at additional cost. Details will be provided with your reservation confirmation.
For questions and reservations, please call Thomas P. Gohagen & Company at (800) 922-3088.